Main Menu

Forum Name standards

Started by Andrew Bull, March 26, 2008, 11:26:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Bull

??? ???

Could we please have a return to the 'Name yourself' criteria that our forum used to have.   I fear we could end up with the same anonymous bitching before long.  Its simple really and only them with balls can sling mud and put thier name to it.  (not that this has happened yet, but i thought it might be prudent to reiterate our un-written rule, as per the old forum).

Chris, anything to add on this?

Regards

Andrew Bull
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Chris Yates

Hi Andrew,

Helen recently asked the same question, so I'll copy what I wrote in reply to her:

The 'real name' thing has been discussed rather a lot between some of the committee members. Some of the new usernames that folks are coming on with are gibberish, but to be honest, they're non-racers, and would you care if you knew their real names? Would you know if they had really used their real, real names? Probably not, which is why we had a member called "Stirling Moss" on the old forum, and I'm pretty sure Sir Stirling has no interest in 2CVs!

The good thing about the new forum software is that it's got some very good features for us administrators - we can see the email addresses of people signing up, and where they're from, so we'll instantly know if any of them are up to any funny business.

Also, the flipside is that not everyone wants to use their real name on the Internet - not because they want to hide behind an alias, but perhaps they don't like everyone knowing who they are and what they've been up to, and I think it's important to respect people wishing to have some privacy. If it makes them feel more comfortable to post under an alias, then that's ok - they'll post more, and the atmosphere of the forum will be better. If they're just hiding behind an alias to cause trouble, we'll ban them - simple as that.

Additionally, checking out the real names of every new sign up takes quite a bit of time, and relies on me being attached to a computer all of the time, which is not something I can always guarantee.

--
So the bottom line is, they can post under an alias, but any troublemaking won't be tolerated from an 'alias'.

spanners

Gulp, guilty as charged :-[

I just use "Spanners" on every forum I'm on-it's the name I've always used on Scally Rally.

Just for the record, I'm a non-racer (for the time being-hopefully that'll change sometime in the future) called Jonathan Clewer. And I'm completely harmless.

Promise!
AKA Jonathan. Wanna be racer one day.......................

Steve Panas

No doubt then we shall see you at Silverstone

spanners

Indeedy, I shall be there.

Looking forward to it, haven't been to a sprint since Pembrey at Easter 1990! I worked for Darryl Stokes (2CV Centre in Bournville) at the time so I managed to cajole dad to take me there to watch 8)

helen deeley

:) Come & introduce yourself- we don't bite! I'll be in car 9, you'll know it by the crash test stickers.
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

spanners

I shall definately be introducing myself (and picking brains too!) as this is the place to be!

Some of you may even recognise me as the strange Brummie that wanders round the pits at Snet for 36+ hours in shear wonderment of peoples grit and determination 8)

David Bain

Spanners wrote : the strange Brummie that wanders round the pits at Snet for 36+ hours in shear wonderment of peoples grit and determination

You left off  "stupidity".

I don't hide behind an alias. I'm just not myself today.

BFN
David