Main Menu

Springs

Started by spanners, July 04, 2008, 06:39:30

Previous topic - Next topic

spanners

Hi all, I'm wondering what rating springs are my best bet on this car I'm building. I do want to be able to use it on the road occasioinally but, assuming it does hit the racetrack one day-what kind of rating am I best off with and where's best to get them please?

Also, when building these things-when it says the bodyshell shouldn't be altered etc etc, does that include such bits as the "hooks" on either side above the 'B' post that the hood clips onto and the bits at the front above the windscreen that the old style external fastening hoods used to fix to?
And, just one more I promise! What about rear seatbelt mounts? Can I get rid of them as they're rotten and I'm working to a real Brummie style tight budget! ;) ???

Thanks y'all. :)
AKA Jonathan. Wanna be racer one day.......................

Trevor Williams

The important word in the regs is "integeral". My understanding is that if it is part of the bodyshell you can't remove / alter it, but if it is a bolt on bit you can.
Seat belt mounts - I assume you mean the ones in the rear inner wing? Yes, put a new plate in and NEVER attach a race harness to them. You will need one of the lap belt mounting points for the harness and need to install another mounting point for the other shoulder harness

Cheers
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Francis Rottenburg

I have a very old set of race springs in cans.  At least one of the cans is quite rusty and has a small hole but it did three 24hours and didn't break so should be all right.  I have no idea what the spring rate is but they were for a racer - they weigh about the same as a standard setup so very heavy.  I bought some new springs off Paul R. and put those on the car - both stiffer and lighter.  Depends how near the front you want to run I suppose.  Having said that, with one exception, I never ran near the front.....

If you want them you can have them for free but probably have to pick them up as they would cost a few bob to courier to Brum.  I live near Woking J11 M25.  If interested give me a call on 07714 684342 or email [email protected].  Cheers, Francis

spanners

Hi Francis, that's great thanks-I'll call you later today.

Picking up is no problem.

Cheers, Jon.

Francis Rottenburg

Jon I have managed to lose your details, sorry. I have given the springs to Peter Scatchard who is racing with Steve Jaques.  If you go along to their pit then you can get them off him.  If you can get the cans freed up properly then your ride height will drop as the pull rods looked like they were sticking out a bit more - I think.  Cheers, F.

spanners

Hi Francis, that's great thankyou very much.
I've got some good spring cans here so I'll probably just transfer the innards over.

Thanks again, Jon.

P.S. What team number/colour scheme is Peters' car? Might help me find him in all the pandamonium that is Snetterton!