Main Menu

Window ventilation

Started by Rich Bernard, July 26, 2008, 17:14:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Bernard

We have replaced the glass windows of our race car with perspex, and just now need to sort the ventilation out to save the drivers from boiling to death. At our test at Snetterton the other week they were very hot after just 30 mins in the car.

The technical regulations state - Effective means of ventilation, as per MSA C(b)8k., by means of an openable vent flap, or drivers window to have a ventilation hole (100cm2) or be openable as original design

Are we allowed to put a sliding panel of perspex in place, so that the it can be adjusted for the flow of air, as long as its maximum opening is not more than 100cm2?

Thanks

Nick Roads

not an expert but I think it is a minimum 100cm2 that is required - basically a driver must be able to have some ventilation.

Some 2cv's run with the original windows in and drive the race with the window up - look at the home page picture www.2cvracing.org.uk to see a good example. I have linked to the picture below

The 2 in the picture are always front runners so do not worry about performance issues.

I would allow as large an opening as you can

Martyn Daniel

Isn't there three cars in that snap?  ;D

Matthew Hollis

As long as the hole does not exceed 100cm2 at any time then it is ok.  I have a pivoted opening on my window which can be positioned fully open, half open, closed or anywhere in between.  If you have an openable vent flap at the front then you don't need any opening on the window.

Personally, I just sweat it out 8)

spanners

Quote from: Matt Hollis on July 28, 2008, 22:36:43
Personally, I just sweat it out 8)

Perhaps there's a weight loss tip for me there. Note to self-hermetically seal 2CV and sweat to slim! ;) ;D
AKA Jonathan. Wanna be racer one day.......................

helen deeley

oooo, the glamour of motorsport!  ;D
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Rich Bernard

Thanks all, one less thing for us to finish before the 8th!