Main Menu

Pistons

Started by Marc Fenner, November 18, 2008, 20:31:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Fenner

Will we need to change the valve guides and springs??

Dont know if there is a wieght difference with new ones??

Also will stainless work ok with the current valve guides?

philip myatt

more questions for your uni project then?

Paul Robertson

The regs don 't say you can use different valve guide material marc so according to our rules you can't change it anyway even if you wanted to.

Marc Fenner

I wasnt saying i wanted to Paul. Just wondered if the 2 materials will work together???

Trevor Williams

In answer to the question of valve weight, here is what I have found:

Standard Road valve from ECAS = Exh 65g, Inlet 65g
Race valves from ECAS = Exh 55g, Inlet 60g
2CVRC 1 piece valves = Exh 55g, Inlet 55g

All valves brand new, never been used

Trevor
(Sad, I know!!!!)  ;D
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Andrew Bull

very very sad :'( :'( :'( :( :'(
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Roy Eastwood

The new valves are indeed very nicely made - as would be expected from a top UK manufacturer, they are in fact manufactured from 2 types of steel & are in reality 2 piece valves in the manner that would normally be expected, the use of a 'billet' cam will in fact obviate their use since there will no longer be 'float' except when an engine is vastly over-revved.

Quote from: Paul Robertson on November 22, 2008, 12:53:33
I have received them today via trevor one piece stainless valves made especially for the club by G&S valves in Godalming,theu are made to our regs and require no modification.
They make 5mm stem 41mm head valves that rev to over 11000rpm so the club's 8mm and 8.5mm stem ones should be nigh on indestructable(we hope).

Sean

Quote from: Roy Eastwood on March 05, 2009, 12:54:46

the use of a 'billet' cam will in fact obviate their use since there will no longer be 'float' except when an engine is vastly over-revved.

Hows that then?

If Kent grind your new billet to their (Our?) Race profile surely the characterisics, and flaws, will be the same? or can you get some other shop to do the grind as long as its to the club cam spec.
Sean

Trevor Williams

The regs state the cam can only come from the club's approved supplier, namely Kent Cams. Any one else doing anything to a cam would be in breach of the regs and in SERIOUS trouble if / when caught
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Sean

Quote from: Trevor Williams on March 23, 2009, 12:56:36
Any one else doing anything to a cam would be in breach of the regs and in SERIOUS trouble if / when caught

Ok- Knew that ;D
And whats the advantage of a billet cam, presuming there is an advantage or else why go to the trouble / expense ???

Sean