Main Menu

Spa 24Hr British entries

Started by Andrew Bull, October 08, 2011, 20:04:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Robertson

It looks much cheaper to go to St Malo on current prices ,although dover /calais would be the cheapest option
Either the entry would have to be very cheap/non existent or everyone would have to be very keen to go.
Portsmouth /Bilbao                                                                          £1580
Fuel return                    28hrs driving                      1420 miles           £ 450
Total                                                                                               £2030

Return Ferry  Portsmouth/St Malo                                                      £850
Fuel return                      38hrs driving                    1900 miles           £550
Total                                                                                              £1400

Dover /Calais                                                                                   £140
return drive                     44hrs driving                   2184 miles           £700
Total                                                                                               £840

Mary Lindsay

Trevor please can you explain what is "NEAFP'd"?

What sort of licence do you need for the Spa event?

Paul Robertson

A national A is all you need for spa mary. And fia safety equipment!

Derek Coghill

How many hours' driving?! Using the Rosyth ferry, Spa was the closest (by road) track to me with the exception of Knockhill.

And the late, lamented Ingliston, obviously...

Trevor Williams

Mary
It stands for National Event with Authorised Foreign Participation. It is how National race meetings / events can allow foreign entrants / racers to compete without being a full FIA International event.
As Paul says above, the licence requirements for the Spa race are Nat A licence and FIA 2000 spec overalls including balaclava and full underwear (shirt, longjohns and socks). I believe this is because the Belgian regs follow to the letter the International Sporting Code requirements, whereas the MSA regs only advise the use of underwear, gloves, boots and balaclava in national events
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

You also need in date seat and harness.i'mnot sure what the rent boys did about the extinguisher.

Nick Paton

Yes.... It adds considerably to the cost of the event when you need to buy new seat, extinguisher and overalls AT THE EVENT!  I didn't even know that seats HAD a date on them until we arrived at Spa...

Nick Roads

National A is easy to get - just send 6 race results with your name on to MSA. Download them from TSL timing if you have done 6 races in last few years and send them in.

Belts - mine were found to be out of date at Silverstone this year despite being only 5 years old and in very good condition. This was expensive to sort out on a Saturday afternoon.

FIA Fire Proof LongJohns - very useful at Spa in open top car or for simply standing around in the Garage/Igloo at night due to their good thermal properties..

FIA Gloves - I was told these are not mandatory in UK this year at Anglesey - they are at Spa

Seat - not sure what the regs exactly are for the seat at Spa. I bought a new MSA approved seat 5 years ago for my race car which was found to have cracked and broken one its mounting brackets when doing pre snet preparation last year. went back to the old seat...

Trevor Williams

Nick
The correct way to get the required signatures for a National A upgrade is to get them on the upgrade card at the events. If you dont get the card signed there and then, you have to speak VERY nicely to both the organising club, and the MSA, as it has to be confirmed by the Clerk ofthe Course for the events you are claiming a signature for that your performance was satisfactory.
The reason people have to have full FIA 2000 spec underwear etc for Spa is because they run it to the Belgian regs which mirror FIA International Sporting Code. It is feasible that other countries do the same.
Golves and boots are not mandatory at all in UK motorsport, it is only advised that you wear them.

Chris Yates

Quote from: Trevor Williams on October 25, 2011, 09:44:17
Golves and boots are not mandatory at all in UK motorsport, it is only advised that you wear them.

That's changing next year isn't it? I seem to recall reading somewhere that flame-retandant gloves and boots are mandatory as of January 2012.

Paul Robertson

What's a golve?
Where is it worn?

Trevor Williams

Chris, you are correct! Mandatory from 1st January 2012

Paul, I couldn't possibly say! Look in the Blue Book! ;p

Derek Coghill

Paul, it's descriptive of a Volkswagen giving birth. Cows calve, VWs golve.....

Derek Coghill

Just as an add-on (having read Nick's post again), I had a look back and found that our fastest lap from 2008 was 4.07-ish.