Main Menu

New!

Started by TRMB1984, May 11, 2012, 16:27:26

Previous topic - Next topic

TRMB1984

Hi everyone,

I was at silverstone last sunday and I enjoyed the 2CV race more than any of the others! I thought it was fantastic :D
I am an ex-rally driver and would like to get back into racing but have no money. How much does a car cost in race form? What does the average race cost?

Cheers.

Tom

Nick Paton

Hello Tom,

Firstly, welcome! 

Its a cracking series with some very close racing.  The cars obviously have a surplus of drag w.r.t power, thus there is a lot of cycling style pack racing with 2 cars together faster than 1 and 3 even better.  The engines are simple (I'm told, but as anyone who knows me will testify, I've really no idea...) and costs are supposed to be lower than other series.. but that, as ever, depends a little on how fast you want to go.

I've bought a couple of cars the last few years... and the best advice I can give is buy one thats already got the right bits and is running.  Its more expensive to build from scratch.  I bought one that was a shell and had built back up (well done Mark Turner) and another that fundamentally had the right bits but wasnt going that quickly (had to buy that one in an emergency cos my favourite one went over a tyre wall)...

The cars go for 4k-8k.. depending on race history and bits etc.. however if you DON'T come from London you may get a substantial discount on this.

You're not going to break the bank on consumables... you'll need the toilet before it runs out of fuel.  you'll do a season on a set of tyres (ex the 24hrs, for which you'll need 6 fresh 'uns)...

Panels and stuff are getting more expensive but you can still find bargains (Alec Graham assures me, although I've no idea how he does it)...

Come along to Mallory park, 4th June, locate the red JRZ cars and I will do my best to fill in the gaps and introduce you to the people I know.

Nick

Nick Paton

...or you can rent a car race-by-race for a few hundred squid...

Again, post your mobile and I can call you or come along to Mallory..

N

Alec Graham

If you're an ex rally driver,you'll fit in a treat. And more room on the tarmac for those who find it favourable. Just remember to keep one wheel near the white line, and you'll probably be okay.

TRMB1984

Haha decent! I don't think I could afford anything for the moment but renting a car for a couple of events at some point would be a great laugh! what is the 24 hour race like, I am sure you would need about 4 drivers per car?

Derek Coghill

The 24hr race is fabulous, try it at least once (yes, 3 or 4 drivers). Alec finds cheap things because he bought a Scottish car and it's exerting an influence. The trouble with renting a car is that you have to pay someone else's repair rates if it breaks; buying one is cheaper in the long run.

Or more expensive, in that you do more racing....but you can't take someone with you to tell you where the corners are.

TRMB1984

lol this is very true! Having someone tell you where to go is handy but a weight issue hehe! I didnt think buying a 2cv race car would be so much tbh. 4k is quite alot more than I expected, I was thinking iot was going to be about 2-3k max... :-\
Renting a car wouldn't be ideal I suppose coz if you stuff the car when its yours you can just leave it until you can afford the costs and with hiring your stuffed really.
It really appealed to me as its seemed really fun, close racing and you have to have a fair bit of skill to keep the speed going! I am used to carrying as much speed into corners have rallied a mg zr group n1 but I expect this is going to be a hell of alot slower lol! What is the power and top end on these beats :D

Alec Graham

I'm a bit reluctant to put my two penneth in, as i have occasionally found myself on the wrong end of a heated debate and being accused of being unrealistic about how much it costs to go racing.
but for what it's worth.
Cars if you can find one, sell for pretty much anything.
I would say the best performing cars change hands for about 5K. personally i've never heard of one sell for more than that.
Midfield circa 2.5 - 3K
and i know of one competitor  picked his car up for £800.
I would imagine you could build one for under £3000.
running costs.
you can easily pick up panels and bits and pieces from ebay or gumtree for next to nothing.
And i manage to race the entire season tyres, fuel, entries, transport the whole sprint season and the 24hour for £4000.
I know that to be true.

Yes Derek i continue to enjoy a great deal of help from north of the border for which i am eternally grateful.

TRMB1984

Cheers Alec  :)

I will be sure to try and get to another meeting and watch the action!

Alec Graham

Do you have a licence.?
If you were to change the nature of your post it might be likely that someone could do a hire deal with you and you could be on the grid at mallory....

TRMB1984

I dont have a race one only rally  :-\ I need to get a licence and do one of those days, they seem to cost a bomb! I have a open face peltor helmet and toora overalls but they are from 2004...Do you think they would still pass for being in date, I don't know how that works?

Trevor Williams

So long as your overalls are to the FIA 2000 spec you will be ok

Your helmet may be a different matter. So long as its BS6658 A/FR or Snell 2000 and above it will be ok, however if it has a "rally" intercom in it you may have problems... would need to speak to a scutineer to clarify
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

TRMB1984

Oh ok thats good news at least hah! Well about the overalls anyway as I have a Peltor intercom in my helmet.  They dont cost as much without them anyway.....
What about getting a race licence is that a ball ache?

Trevor Williams

Afraid so, Think you still have to do the full ARDS course etc
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

TRMB1984

Oh no thats sucks, I will have alook into the costs  :'(