Main Menu

new project for the naughtybear

Started by naughtybear, April 23, 2013, 10:43:47

Previous topic - Next topic

naughtybear

Hi Guys - I went and bought a road cv to convert to a racer (jumped on the pedal cycle one morning to Manchester from Huddersfield - bought the car and drove it home, kept seventy up from junction 21 up to 22 if anyone knows that stretch of the M62) - after long conversations with a couple of people telling me to buy a ready made racer I came to the conclusion that A) that's a lot of money in one go B)I want a challenge to build one C) can be done bit by bit D) be a nice project for me and my two eldest boys (one being a Saturday mechanic) - so in essence any advice would be greatly appreciated

Racing regards Ash a.k.a Capt Naughty bear

crazy - possibly, determined - definitely
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

Alec Graham

I once drove a land rover up that hill and the most it would do was 37mph.

naughtybear

i remember when I got my new astra in 2003 they sold me headlight protectors and said they were good for 80 - 90 mph until both came off up that hill @ 75 :( - long trip up to j22 then down to 21 and back to to see they had been driven over four million times :( obviously caused a minor hitch when asking for a refund!!!!

naughtybear

todays efforts any comments welcome

Sammie Fritchley

You won't need a full size battery,that will get in the way of the exhaust.

Matthew Hollis

That does depend on the exhaust design, I run a full size battery without any problems

Alec Graham

And you gear lever is upside down...
other than that it's lovely.

naughtybear

:( thought I had done ok for an amateur ( ha ha I can hear you saying it shows lol) - Alec, that's for when its on its roof ........ Not really sure on exhaust configuration as I would like to start with an economy class car so again any advice would be greatly appreciated - another burning but probably useless question ................... can I swap the existing broken black plastic gear knob for a nice new #14 pool ball? obviously drilled and tapped.

Simon Crook

Hi Ash, as you would have seen up and down the paddock every car is different, your work looks neat and tidy keep up the good work :) when are you hoping to get it done by.

Simon
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Matthew Hollis

Yes you can change the gear knob!

Trevor Williams

Matt, No you can't........

5.9.1. Permitted Modifications
It is permissible to extend the gear change lever to allow 4th and reverse gears to be engaged whilst strapped in the driving position.
The gearchange must remain in the manufacturers intended position.
The two slots in the rear gearbox mounting may be closed (e.g. with welded washers).
The geartrain from a drum braked gearbox may be transferred to a disc braked gearbox, provided that the geartrain complies with 3 below.
It is permissible to strengthen the gear change linkage and substitute an alternative assembly for the standard rubber bushes, this must be mounted in the manufacturers original and unmodified position.

And.....

5.1 Introduction:
The following Technical Regulations are set out in accordance with the MSA specified format and it should be clearly understood that if the following texts do not clearly specify that you can do it you should work on the principle that you can not. For the purposes of these regulations, modification means any change in the design, material, shape, dimension and / or surface finish of any component except for basic manufacturing processes, normal wear and published service or repair procedures. 'Standard' is as defined in Citroen manuals MAN108161 and MAN 308162
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Steve Panas

::) Ains, We're in trouble!!!

Trevor Williams

Steve,
Only if the eligibility scrutineer clocks it, or another competitor protests it.....

;)
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

naughtybear

Hi Simon , in an ideal world for the twenty four this year but realistically I want to enter it for a full reason, economy class next year

Simon Crook

that will be good to have another car out to play, have we got any other economy class cars running at the moment?
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING