Main Menu

new project for the naughtybear

Started by naughtybear, April 23, 2013, 10:43:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Hollis

Quote from: Trevor Williams on May 09, 2013, 13:35:00
Matt, No you can't........

5.9.1. Permitted Modifications
It is permissible to extend the gear change lever to allow 4th and reverse gears to be engaged whilst strapped in the driving position.
The gearchange must remain in the manufacturers intended position.
The two slots in the rear gearbox mounting may be closed (e.g. with welded washers).
The geartrain from a drum braked gearbox may be transferred to a disc braked gearbox, provided that the geartrain complies with 3 below.
It is permissible to strengthen the gear change linkage and substitute an alternative assembly for the standard rubber bushes, this must be mounted in the manufacturers original and unmodified position.

And.....

5.1 Introduction:
The following Technical Regulations are set out in accordance with the MSA specified format and it should be clearly understood that if the following texts do not clearly specify that you can do it you should work on the principle that you can not. For the purposes of these regulations, modification means any change in the design, material, shape, dimension and / or surface finish of any component except for basic manufacturing processes, normal wear and published service or repair procedures. 'Standard' is as defined in Citroen manuals MAN108161 and MAN 308162

I call a broken gear knob 'normal wear' (as per regulation 5.1), so it can be changed.  Ok, so it probably should be replaced by a standard gear knob and not a pool ball, but if someone actually protests something like that we may as well all just stop racing...

Trevor Williams

Matt,
A broken gear knob could be treated as wear and tear, and should be replaced by the standard part, ie the two piece hollow plastic ball thing.

To replace it with something that had a reduced likelyhood of failure would be modifying, which is not permitted. You could argue that the replacement part had absolutely no performance enhancing characteristics, and you may be correct.

However, by replacing a part with one that is less likely to fail, and therefore less likely to cause inconvenience in changing gears ( I have experience of gear levers and gear knobs breaking, just ask Tete Rouge....), you would fall foul of the MSA advice to consider this when dealing with the judicial matter.

Below is the extract from the Judicial Procedures
"An example of exceptional circumstances could be wrong type of windscreen wiper blades on a Group N car. But be careful, a claim that the ineligibility will not improve performance whilst it may be valid, ignores the fact that there could have been an improvement in vehicle reliability"

Would anyone ever protest something like this? Hyperthetically, if my car was dead-on balls accurate in conformance with the regulations, and I was beaten by someone whose car had this modification done, I would!!!

You compete under the regulations and expect the regulations to be the level playing field. If they field isn't level, do something about it. Either change the regulation to allow the modification (which is usually the course of action in the club), Challenge it by putting a protest in, or ignore the breach of the regulations......

Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

naughtybear

ok so I see the pool ball question has some discussion - I think its time to really let the cat amongst the pigeons........................................... check out my freshly painted headlight unit thing   :P
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

Chris Yates

That's clearly performance-enhancing paint ;)

Neal

Are you allowed one of those pool balls which predicts the future? You could ask it if you should attempt to overtake at the next corner...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_8-Ball

Derek Coghill

That's almost as pink as my original wheels (still got them).

How about the blue World Meeting gearknob, a same-sized direct replacement item? Matches some cars, too....

naughtybear

another full day on the car............ sh*ten up to the eyeballs again  :-\ brake calipers off, fan off (rather easily which worried me), exhaust off - calipers cleaned and degreased, made a start on defluffing the gearbox case, and picked some bits up I won on ebay

naughtybear

8 hours scrubbing, not over happy yet but it got dark :(
would have put pictures of the offending crank cases but it wont let me

naughtybear

head light bar wired up at the weekend - got some funky little side lights in the pods and the pink looks awesome!!

naughtybear

well that's a slight set back - after a disaster in the garage this afternoon I don't think I can repair the body

naughtybear

front axle removed - stripped and rebuilt and shocked how much better it works after a rebuild.

Nick Paton

I cant believe I'm actually saying this... but I'm now getting into your build-saga...

Can we have some pictures to spice it up?

When you've finished I'll rent u an engine if you like....

N

Nick Paton

...perhaps someone could organise it so that we can have a section somewhere on the forum on how to build a racer, with pictures 'an that

N

naughtybear

I prefer epic rather than saga unless you are over fifty then that's fine by me , I cant seem to upload photos anymore but your quite welcome to check them out on facebook......
https://www.facebook.com/Racecanvas

I am gonna build my own engine but I am sure I will need another when it breaks lol

rr Ash

naughtybear

excellent week on and off with the car, carbon dash panel made up and both left hand side arms ready to install!!!!