Main Menu

How do we calm things down a little?

Started by Scooterman, May 23, 2014, 15:30:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

There is a lot of truth in what you say alec. Bald tyres is basic safety scrutineering, as were the 3mm thick discs with cracks in that passed post race scrutiny at croft when the specific check was disc thickness.
If this is an example of the lack of preparation going on then the club needs to get involved before someone gets hurt. It is plainly obvious we are the only ones who care.
  Or do we, from what I heard one team started the 2hour race knowing they had no brakes,ffs .

Glenn Oswin

Tyres is a safety issue that should be dealt with by the scrutineers. There is always a scrutineer/official in the assembly area or start grid checking extinguisher pins surely they should be checking tyre depths, they don't need to be measured if they are dodgy! People should make sure their cars are safe because of the risk to other racers. It doesn't cost a great deal to make sure brakes ,steering and tyres are all good, regardless if it has an effect on you or your car performance, safety must be the priority!.

Are tyres inspected in other race series?

On the subject of regulating our camber on the cars, I understand the argument for the size of the contact patch on the tyre, but the rules allowing free camber gives us the variation on car handling throughout the field. 

Scooterman

Basic car safety is an area where there should be no room for negotiation. Things fail from time to time, but it's not like somebody in the paddock would not help replace, lend or repair the part that was illegal or had failed.

Nick Roads

Another factor possibly is that this year we have around 10 to 15 cars which are very similar in pace. This is the highest number I have known, it used to be small clusters of 3 or 4 cars.

As Richard Lambert states you need to be in the train when its this close and this leads to taking a few more chances than you might in other series to keep the momentum. So incidents seem to be inevitable and we need to focus on the deliberate contact as Chris Yates detailed whether it is deliberate due to driver or a consequence of running an unsafe car.

On the camera point I have spoken to Andy at the Mini club and they are running mandatory cameras. It seems to be useful where you have blatant breaches like 'overtaking under yellow not being seen by a marshall' but much more difficult when its driving 'standards' and how can one expect BARC and others to police it.

On the incidents then I was behind Mike Fox in quali and he simply spun after all 4 of the other cars whom he had caught quite easily (check the laptimes in the results), was heading, and was about to break away from possibly.  I passed ok, Simon Clarke caught him slightly, Kris Tovey (who has it on film) somehow went between them and Tom has no chance as he is at the back of the train and would have been unsighted. A racing incident as I saw it at the time.

Lien93

What was the reason for Foxy being so quick? Was it because his contact patch is less than that of a pram tyre? It was his rear end that let go in that corner, was that due to the ridiculous camber he has on it? Everyone else in the train had enough grip to take avoiding action and get round the corner. I know if you ask Foxy he is the fastest driver on the grid with the best car etc etc. But his camber is WAY more than any other car

Frank Barnard

Scooterman has a point. The 'amusing appearance' of our cars may have something to do with scrutineering being (what shall we say?) some times less than rigorous and penalties either not imposed or downright lenient. It's worth remembering that these are racing cars and all racing is dangerous. The price of getting it wrong, or being on the wrong end of someone else getting it wrong, can be fatal. Not so many years ago one of our drivers died at Brands. Just view the Pembrey videos to be reminded about the tiny difference between a ho-ho near miss or minor biff and something blacker.
From this discussion there is general awareness that (as the politicos say) something should be done. Unlike politicos perhaps it should be more than just words, and action taken in the areas cited, so safe (or safeish) close and entertaining racing can continue for drivers and punters alike.

Bas

Driving standards?......... Haha....... Thank your lucky stars I ain't got a licence......... A timely nudge?...... Moi?..... To bloody right..... As said before its nothing new... It's simple...... Behave...... (wanders off laughing)
Tete Rouge Racing since 1993