Main Menu

Where to stay/eat outside of the circuit if required

Started by Suzanne P, August 17, 2014, 21:13:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzanne P

Hi folks

I know that some of you will be arriving before Thursday lunchtime and leaving after Monday lunchtime and may be needing somewhere to stay or to eat.  Here are some recommendations based on my knowledge of the area and with a huge amount of help from my cousin Alix who lives in Valley.

If you do need accommodation for the Wednesday/Thursday or Monday then do book it as soon as possible as it will fill up.

ACCOMMODATION
My best recommendation is The Valley Hotel in Valley.  http://www.valley-hotel-anglesey.co.uk/  This is where we are expecting to stay on Thursday and Monday nights.  It is a nice hotel and I've used it many times in the past.  There is car parking too.  It is right on the Valley crossroads so it's incredibly easy to find. 

If The Valley is full, then there is The Anchorage in Four Mile Bridge (a bit further afield): http://trearddurbay.com/the-anchorage-hotel/  My aunt and both my cousins on Anglesey used to work there so they recommend it above the others.  It is further to drive and it is more expensive than The Valley.  It does have car parking and an annex.  Having said that, it is incredibly comfy.

The Bull Hotel in Valley doesn't have a website but its address is London Rd, Valley, Holyhead, Gwynedd LL65 3DP
01407 740351.  I've not been in there for years – even for a drink – so I can't comment on it.

There is a Premier Inn now in Holyhead.  It does not serve food but McDonalds is next door.

FOOD

There is a Fish and Chip shop in Rhosneigr. 
The following take-aways are available in Valley: Thai, Indian and Chinese.  The Thai restaurant does not do outside delivery but my cousin is going to speak to the other 2 places. 
There is also a Subway in Valley now with pretty good opening hours.

There is an Indian Restaurant/take-away in RAF Valley itself.

If you want something really nice but not overpriced then my cousin Alix recommends The Beach Hut at Newry in Holyhead.  Apparently the breakfast there is incredibly good but not expensive; she went there this morning and says that it is regularly used by Holyhead locals as well.

Alix is going to get me the menus of all of the takeaways/restaurants mentioned above and either scan & email them to me or post them to me so I can scan them and put them on here for you.

Pete Sparrow

The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Suzanne P

Change of plan: we've got The Anchorage on Thursday and Sunday nights.  Couldn't get the family room in The Valley on either date.

I should add that there is a large Tesco's Superstore on the outskirts of Holyhead if you need to purchase food/bits and pieces over the weekend as well.

Suzanne P

Just to give you the opening times for the Tesco Superstore in Holyhead:

Monday:   00:00   24 hours
Tuesday:   24 hours   24 hours
Wednesday:   24 hours   24 hours
Thursday:   24 hours   24 hours
Friday:   24 hours   24 hours
Saturday:   24 hours   00:00
Sunday:   10:00   16:00

hemi442

Thanks for providing all this useful info.  It's much appreciated.

Suzanne P

P.S. If anybody falls in love with Anglesey over the next few days, I can recommend some very good hotels, self-catering, B&Bs and campsites too (some tested by me in the past).