Main Menu

Hi All.

Started by Mike1970, November 15, 2015, 00:42:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike1970

Hi Folks,
I'm sorry but this is one of the typical "how much" messages you must get 100's of per week.

I've been a massive fan of motorsport for years. I've raced Autograss for a couple of years although my main hobby has always been large scale RC racing.

I've always been the DIY type when it comes to racing i.e doing stuff myself rather than paying people, as much for cost saving as for the love and achievement of making things work.

I really like the look of the 2cv racing and I'd like to get some more information on the cost as a "package" to get racing - licence, race entry, safety bits and so on.

If you could help me out I'd be extremely grateful.

Many thanks and warm regards,

Mike Humphreys

Simon Crook

Hi Mike welcome you probably couldn't have picked a worst day to post, it was the clubs dinner dance last night so I am sure a few sore heads around this morning - without a doubt racing a Citroen 2cv is one of if not the cheapest form of motorsport - and its great fun as we all now motorsport is expensive this series gives more smiles per pound across the board - I am sure someone will come along sometime today to give costs - you can buy cars that need updating a little from as little as 1200/1500 to front running cars 5000 upwards - these cars are easy to work on and bits are relatively cheap from one of our series sponsors ECAS once you have the car the actual running costs are not that bad. Which part of the country are you in as all of us are spread around quite a bit there may be someone close to you so you can go take a look.

Regards

Simon
#58 Lumaca Racing (the mint green one)
https://www.facebook.com/Lumaca-Racing-542647312432262/?fref=ts
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Mike1970

Hi Simon,

I'm based in Manchester but doing the large scale rc racing I do tend to travel around a fair bit - from 50 miles to Wakefield to a 2600 mile round trip to Austria.

Looking forward to seeing some  live 2cv racing soon ish.

regards,

Mike

naughtybear

Hi Mike, there are a few of us based up north . I am based in Huddersfield and as of last night i am apparently the first transvestite to win rookie of the year  :P
Naughtybear - powered by roarspeed!

Mike1970

I have no problems with Rookies or transvestites but I draw the line at people from Huddersfield lol ;D

naughtybear

You're going to fit in just fine! Lol

Mike1970

any clue to costs and equipment requirements then?

Chris Yates

Hi Mike,

Ok, the basics. You'll need a Go Racing starter pack: £95 (https://www.msauk.org/Get-Started)
Then you'll need to book an ARDS test: £250+ depending on track/format (http://www.ards.co.uk/schools.asp)
Then you need to apply for the licence (National B): £60 (https://www.msauk.org/Competitors/Competition-Licences)

Then you need to join the 2CV Racing Club: £60 (http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/joinus)
Then you need to join the BARC if you do the sprint races (full season): £90 (http://barc.net/membership)

Safety kit. You'll need a helmet and "HANS" (frontal head restraint). Budget at least £500.
You'll need overalls: £250 at least.
Plus gloves: £45+.
Plus boots: £100+

Then you need to enter a race. A race entry last year cost around £390. This gives you two races though, so you could theoretically share. The whole season cost £1500 (8 races + a 2hr enduro race)

So to get going you need to put in £1,450 + a race entry.

But obviously we haven't touched on the car cost. Still reading? :)

You can sometimes find cars for between £2-4k, and some will need work. However these are typically in very short supply at the moment as people are holding on to cars. We as a club are trying to find some that have been stashed away, but there are already 2 people looking for cars to buy as I type.

An alternative is to hire a car (again, if available) or hire a seat in a car for a race or two. This can be an excellent way to dip your toe into 2CV racing without committing to buy a car. 2CVs are quirky, and may not suit everyone.

Not trying to put you off with all the costs as above, but trying to be realistic so you know what you're getting yourself into! 

You're right though, it IS great fun, and very addictive.

Chris Yates

By the way I'm based near Northwich in Cheshire, which isn't too far away from Manchester, so if you want to come over and take a look at a race car (and possibly sit in it if I've welded up the new seat mounts by then!), then you'd be more than welcome!

Or you could go and see the only known racing transvestite from Huddersfield ;)

Mike1970

Cheers Chris, that's an eye opener - the numbers aren't that outlandish. it's not the cheapest motorsport with regard to race fees and licences but it appeals - still not certain about Huddersfield, I feel ill just typing it.

naughtybear

There's lots of good stuff going on at naughtybear HQ all top secret though  8)

Chris Yates

Quote from: Mike1970 on November 16, 2015, 21:26:46
Cheers Chris, that's an eye opener - the numbers aren't that outlandish. it's not the cheapest motorsport with regard to race fees and licences but it appeals - still not certain about Huddersfield, I feel ill just typing it.

To get into circuit racing in the UK requires approx. the same outlay as above. You could save a few pennies by getting some deals on things or perhaps getting things 2nd hand, although that's really not to be recommended when it comes to race wear!

It's when you come to buy the car, or find bits for the car, or enter races that you find that 2CV racing is the cheapest circuit racing in the country. That's where we score over other forms of circuit racing. Plus we have the 24 hour race of course!

Circuit racing certainly is not the cheapest form of motorsport, in comparison with things like sprinting/hillclimbs or entry-level karting (perhaps), but it's certainly worth it in my opinion!

Ash may come from Hudds but you won't find anyone in the club who has put together their own car (and done such an excellent job of it) on such a tiny budget as him :)

Mike1970

"Ash may come from Hudds but you won't find anyone in the club who has put together their own car (and done such an excellent job of it) on such a tiny budget as him"

I'm still saving to be a Yorkshire man   ;D