Main Menu

Helmet Standards

Started by Scooterman, March 14, 2016, 11:17:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

Having a slight panic with regard to the legality of my helmet for competition this year.

It's a Snell SA2005 with manufacturer fitted Scroth FHR posts to FIA standard 8858-2002.

I read the 2016 blue book which said that SA2005 helmets would still be legal for a couple of years and didn't think any more of it. After looking online for guidance of belt height etc the information appeared to outlaw my helmet.

Confused. Any advice from someone in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Nick clarke

I have attached guidance notes if it works. My helmet was on the list but it did not have the right sticker so in the end I got a new 1 to be sure 

Chris Yates

That PDF Nick's posted points to this list of SA2005 helmets: http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/l41_fhr_compatible_helmets_2.pdf

If it's on that list, then you're fine. If not, then you may need to replace it, because I'm fairly sure the scrutes will be using a similar list.

Chris Yates

Oh and everyone, if you have a new helmet don't forget to take £2 to scutineering for a new MSA sticker ;)

Scooterman

That was the list I found.... It's not on there, having to miss Croix last weekend because of illness. Now have to miss Oulton because of not having a valid helmet. Can't afford a replacement. It's annoying because as soon as I got the blue book I checked all my gear and had no cause for concern.

Nick clarke

I got mine from rrs good exchange rate atm  £182 delivered with a new 8856.2000 balaclava  ordered tuesday was here friday

Scooterman

I contacted Playskool Motorsport whom I purchased the helmet from. They Inform me it's a Beijing Rodia FK-FK1 which, thankfully, is on the list!

Chris Yates

Ah, Rodia helmets, which are basically made from old Bell moulds I believe. Glad it's on the list!

Did you get a Fisher-Price FHR with the Playskool helmet? :D :D

Simon Crook

I can't see mine on the list, its brand new (a few weeks ago) and they advertise in the MSA magazine! V2 Super-Vent Snell SAH2010 fitted with Hans FIA 8858 2010 clips - even says FHR Compliant HANS enabled helmet for the new regulations.
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Nick clarke

My old helmet was a rodia off the  list but it does not have the right sticker in it

Simon Crook

after looking last night Nick, mine has an orange sticker inside it saying SAH2010 and has the FIA8856-2010 hans posts on it - so looking at the rules it should be ok to use for National races - FOR MSA NATIONAL EVENTS ONLY* – Helmets to Snell SAH2010 and SA2015 standards are approved for use with an FIA-homologated FHR without the need for additional FIA labels. For these helmets the Frontal Head Restraints (FHRs) anchorage posts must be marked as homologated to FIA8858-2010. ???

I am near the MSA HQ on Thursday I will take it and see the technical department then and hopefully get the little blue sticker put on then.
LUMACA RACING

Trevor Williams

Simon, make sure you phone the MSA first so that there will be someone there who can do the necessary...

This thread has (almost) highlighted the issues regarding helmet standards...

If you buy a new helmet, and it is touted as being SA2015 approved, PLEASE make sure it is also FIA 8859-2015 Certified as well.... especially if you wish to race on the continent...
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Simon Crook

thanks Trevor will do - I'm not happy with my new helmet, well the company itself I have the issue with so won't be buying another V2 helmet in the future.
LUMACA RACING