Main Menu

Well done Team Lion

Started by Paul, September 02, 2016, 10:56:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

i thought seeing as no one else had posted on here to say well done that i would.
Three years in a row, all prepared by the same team not two different teams is a herculean effort. To bring a brand new car not previously raced and win is something i don't think has ever been done before.
If i remember the conversation at the 2013 AGM correctly you are due a replica of the 24hr trophy to keep. No team deserves it more. Congratulations to you all.

Simon Crook

Well said Paul - a great effort by THE TEAM -
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Martin Harrold

Thanks, Paul and Simon.

Thank you for your kind words, which I know are addressed to everyone in our team.

Since my first 24 Hr at Mondello, sharing the late Jem Marsh's car with John Coyle and the late, great, Terry Sanger, and meeting mechanics Andy Doel and Dicky Dawes it's been an absorbing 16 or so years. We trailed round at the back of the field for a long time, back in the days when we often had to qualify for sprint races. One year we went to Zolder and Spa, the latter most memorable. But we never stopped learning, often the hard way. And the big thing we learned is that racing is a lot harder than it looks. Along the way we've enjoyed racing in all its aspects with what could reasonably be described as a nice but pretty eclectic bunch of racers and supporters!

Another thing I learned in more recent years is that perhaps I'm a better team manager than race driver. I think it was the week after the 24 Hr race four years ago that Pete and I decided to look at every tiny detail of prepping the car and organising the team, with a view to winning the following years race. Now 'old' 97 has had some rough times and the chassis is still diamond shaped. But everything came together and we won. And each year since, we've built on that. As you both say, racing is a big team effort. Andy is still with us and as keen as ever and we were only able to run two cars this year as some more great people pitched in to help. 

But racing is also a sport, and we were truly delighted to be beaten in a season long battle for the Championship this year by Lien, Tom and the Gadget team. Wayne and co have been around longer than us and I did not realise that this is their first Championship. Well done them.

Pete and I are already thinking about next year. 2CV Team LION will be out again, and Pete will still be wandering the paddock, helping sort cars and engines. And of course, looking for a beer. Before then, 2CVGB have kindly invited us to place new 97 on their stand at the Classic Car show at the NEC in November, and we are looking forward to that. That will help bring the two clubs closer together and bodes well for the future of the classic 2CV. 

Thanks again to everyone who helps make our 2CV racing unique.

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982