Main Menu

We have a problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 03:01:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Martin H on May 25, 2004 at 22:14:59:

Dear all,
You may have noticed quite a number of W's in the entry list for Snet. That is people who said many months ago that they definitely wanted to enter, and we took them at their word. Now, they've decided not to enter. Bit embarrassing for all of us, as the field looks like it will be even smaller than last year and the race will probably run at a loss.
Before Xmas, I advised the club committee (I'm not on the club committee) that unless we allowed flexibility during this year over '03 and '04 cams, then we would see small fields. I was over-ruled, but I think I've been proved right. Incidentally, lots of people who voted at the AGM for the new cam rule have not actually run a car in a race this year so far.
About two weeks ago, I posted a carefully worded news item on the 24 hr site, suggesting that a possible 'Invitation Class' for cars with '03 engines was being considered. That could bring a few extra cars onto the 24 hr grid.
I'm not sure how this would be legalised, so I put it to the vote of the active members of the '24 Hr Committee'. So far, Paul Taylor has voted in favour, and we appear to have abstentions from Trevor Williams and Paul Robertson. I obviously vote in favour. The CoC and our Scrutineer are in favour. Our series sponsor is in favour of the rule amendment and I can speak in favour of the change on behalf of the 24 hr sponsor.
So, by a narrow margin, it seems that the vote 'official' vote is in favour.
I have always looked after the commercial side of the 24 hr, and not got involved in the rules. But, we all want to see the 24 hr continuing and unless we get a good grid, then the 2005 race has to be in some doubt.
Incidentally, many cars may arrive at Snet with just one '04 engine. Under the current rule, if they blow it on Friday and cannot repair it, there is no choice but to eject them from the race and ask them to go home. I don't think anyone wants that. With the 'Invitation Class', they can run with an '03 engine.
So, I propose that we all agree that the 'Invitation Class' for cars with '03 engines be brought into being forthwith. It is in the nick of time, because it gives team who might now decide to make a late entry with an '03 engine a chance to get sorted. It might also mean that cars up for rent, but whose owners can't get '04 engines sorted, might do late deals to get them on the grid.
I may have judged the mood of the general club members incorrectly and that the majority don't want to see the 'Invitation Class' allowed for the 24 hr. If you are against it, then please post your thoughts here soonest. If you are in favour, please also post your thoughts.
It may also be that despite all of this, we don't get any entries in the class. But at least we will have tried.
Talking about small grids, it looks like I've got a very good chance of at least coming home 4th in the last race at Stowe on Sunday.
Best wishes, Martin H