Main Menu

Race Dates and venues

Started by Mr Burns, December 24, 2022, 10:53:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Burns

The BARC website is showing new dates and venues for 2023. Is this correct?

Matthew Hollis

Hi Mick,

As it stands, yes. We are still in negotiation with the BARC about the Anglesey meeting due to it's proximity with the Pembrey meeting, so can't confirm absolutely 100% but it is looking doubtful if anything will change at this late stage. We should be able to confirm all the details soon, but for the time being I think it is very likely what the BARC have posted is correct. For everybody else's benefit this is the page Mick is referring to: https://www.barc.net/championship/2cv-parts-com-classic-racing-championship/

Paul

Not if you go to 2023 season info it isn't.
April 15/16 - Cadwell Park
May 20/21 - Croft
June 3/4 - Anglesey
July 8/9 - Thruxton
August 25/26/27 - Snetterton 200

Matthew Hollis

Hi Paul,

Yes I have alerted Martin about this, he is intending to speak to Mark Turner at BARC as soon as possible once Mark returns to work. From our understanding, the 2023 season info page is incorrect, but we will try and clarify everything as soon as we can.

gadget

Am I the only one that thinks this seasons race meetings are a total arse?
How can we possibly have 2 meetings in Wales 2 weeks apart. It is totally impracticable.
It gives 1 weekend to get ready for the Angelsey meeting! That's if anyone can afford to go after spending an extra£600.00 on a non championship enduro at Pembrey.
Well I for one am not spending in excess of £1100.00 in travelling to watch to watch 4no 15minute sprints.
If anyone is on a monthly salary, they need to start saving now for their fuel costs, that's on top of the entry and food.
This timing has taken 1 of our cars out of this years championship already.Lets hope no ones cost of living is going up!?
Gadget

nick nice toes

I wholeheartedly agree with the above.
This season's circuit choices are to be blunt a joke.
Having 2 races in Wales 2 weeks apart is ridiculous, unless you happen to live on the doorstep, in which case it's all very well and good.
I'm not sure why we had the poll asking drivers which circuits they favoured as the results seem worthless.
With the cost of living etc increasingly as it has I can understand why the entry has increased but I can't figure why our actual race time has decreased again.
Surely at this rate we will be turning up for a 1 lap sprint or maybe a drag race.
The cost of racing is never going to get cheaper but what we appear to be saving on race entry is being spent on actually getting to the track for less minutes racing.
I don't get having an enduro that is not part of the championship, I've said this before as a single driver I am being penalised. This time to the tune of 25% of the entry having qualified already because I am participating in the championship not just turning up for 1 race.
If people want to introduce new drivers or test their cars for the 24 HR would it not make more sense to do an open track day at the cost of £275 ish for 8 hours rather than £600 for 90 minutes.
I don't see any reason to drive 13 hours for 2x 15 minute races and then follow that up with another 10 HR drive 2 weeks later for the same.
That is probably the biggest reason why I highly doubt I shall be competing in the championship this season.
When I can drive to Europe and compete in a 2 hour race for less than the cost of the above there has to be something wrong.

Derek Coghill

With all the grumping that went on about the moving of the 24hr from Snetterton to Anglesey and so on, I had a look at the times and mileages; as I remember there was about 50 miles of difference getting from Edinburgh to either circuit.

Spend the fortnight surfing.

Paul

Don't think it's the distances as much as the proximity of the events Derek.

I estimate from me @25mpg
Cadwell     90 miles  £30 fuel
Pembrey  520 miles  £175
Anglesey 360 miles  £120
Oulton     210 miles   £70

nick nice toes

Oh if only I could attain 25 ttg.
I'm hovering around 16 but that's my choice for the vehicle I use. But there again I do accommodate for all my helpers and quite often people from other teams.
The above I don't mind and I will always offer someone a bed if I have a spare and they have no accommodation.
My issues are a few fold but as I'm in a minority it is what it is.
I just feel that the people who are actually keeping the club going are not always being thought of ( more being taken for granted ) and that it doesn't exactly show prospective new racers an affordable low cost series.
My mileage for this season's events works out at 1800 miles, which at 16 ttg is a little eye watering.
It's not the distance for me it's the ease of getting to the circuit.
I would rather pay the extra money for brands and have 2 hours less to travel than go to pembrey or Anglesey.
As noted at the AGM a unanimous vote was carried that doing both was not wished for.
A chance of an enduro was offered, but only at pembrey which then meant both Welsh events were a given.
This has now become a non championship event which for people like myself as noted above is a non runner.
At some point the people who actually pay to race and guarantee a series continues must be taken into consideration, if this means the club has to move away from barc then it has to happen.
The club and it's driver, helpers and loyal supporters etc deserve more than being offered the scraps from other race series just because they are a supposed more prestigious club which may only have 5/6 cars at the meeting. 

Derek Coghill

Agreed Paul, hence my...

"Spend the fortnight surfing"

...comment.

There's good surf to be had at Anglesey, and there's a static wave place along the north coast (which I haven't been to).

I gave my board away five years ago...

Paul

Quote from: gadget on January 15, 2023, 12:10:49
Am I the only one that thinks this seasons race meetings are a total arse?
How can we possibly have 2 meetings in Wales 2 weeks apart. It is totally impracticable.
It gives 1 weekend to get ready for the Angelsey meeting! That's if anyone can afford to go after spending an extra£600.00 on a non championship enduro at Pembrey.
Well I for one am not spending in excess of £1100.00 in travelling to watch to watch 4no 15minute sprints.
If anyone is on a monthly salary, they need to start saving now for their fuel costs, that's on top of the entry and food.
This timing has taken 1 of our cars out of this years championship already.Lets hope no ones cost of living is going up!?
Gadget
What about, Cancel Anglesey, make the Pembrey Enduro part of the championship and give points at 45 as well as 90 minutes? That way we still have 9 points scoring opportunities. The saved entry and travelling costs of Anglesey should cover the cost of the enduro

San

I think I agree with most that has been said. I am keen for an enduro, as I am keen for more track time. I am not keen on 10min Q and a 15min races, however understand the reasons behind this, although I do not agree with them.
I do not want to go to Wales twice and my view is compounded by the trips to Wales being so close together, therefore, I won't go to both Welsh race meetings this year.
We did discuss options at the AGM. My impression was the current race calendar was an initial draft and it was not put in stone as the board were keen to gain the opinion of those at the AGM before finalising the race calendar. Various proposals were put forward because the general consensus was that two trips to Wales were not what was wanted by the majority especially only two weeks apart. I thought it was concluded to change the calendar and the favourite change (and the only change necessary) was to move Anglesey to another track and potentially after the 24hr race to gain cheaper track time, possibly in October.
I realise it is not possible to please everyone all the time, but from my understanding the current calendar doesn't please many.
I am in favour of Pauls proposal to scrap Anglesey and make the enduro as part of the championship. Alternatively, I am in favour to scrap either of the Welsh races and have an additional race after the 24hr.

Neal

Has anybody spoken to the 750MC? If I am going to race this year I will be hiring for the sprint races but 15 minute races don't appeal at all.

George Broadhurst

Dad and myself have been talking about the above over the last couple of days, it certainly appears as though a change of club should be considered. I know we have a long standing relationship with BARC but it does appear that we are being taken advantage of. The races we have been offered this year aren't particularly inspiring and it must be said that organisation at BARC events has been poor in recent years. The farcical Donington meeting a couple of years ago springs immediately to mind.
Just out of interest we had a look at pricing for the 750 Motor Club. Comparing their Stock Hatch Series, (the most like minded in terms of values it seems with our own club) to the prices we have been quoted by BARC.
They offer qualifying + 2x15 Sprint Races for £250-300 dependent upon the circuit.
I don't know how up to date their website is, but when we are looking at £1000 each per driver (for those sharing) for the sprint season, this represents excellent value. I know there are members who have raced with 750 Motor Club, so would be good for you to share your experiences.
The only real drawback I see with going to 750 Motor Club is ensuring the safety of our greatest asset, the 24hr race. BARC for all their failings, have ensured the longevity of the event and I'm not sure how many Enduro events 750 Motor Club are responsible for. We would without question lose our August Bank Holiday slot if we were to leave BARC, so this is something that must be considered..
It may well be too late in the day to negotiate anything for this season, but I think looking towards next year this is something that we need to look into as a club. There is clear discontent amongst members so we need a resolution ASAP.

Chris Yates

Changing of club is difficult if we want to protect our 24hr race. It's a big gamble.
750mc usually have big grids, which equals big discounts for all. We get grid sizes of (just about) 20 which isn't too bad in these times, but 750 grids are often 30+. We just can't get there.

Also our need for 2x qualifying sessions doesn't help make things cheaper either. But we need that to enable fair sharing of cars.

Back to this year's season, we don't have any alternative venues given to us from BARC. There are a few options with what we have already:

a) Drop Anglesey entirely, keep the Pembrey enduro as non-championship, have a shorter season.
b) Drop Anglesey, but make the enduro a championship round.
c) Drop Pembrey in June, and go to Pembrey in October instead.

The third option would cause problems for the BARC and potentially the Minis, since it would leave a massive hole in BARC's programme for that weekend, since we've reserved time for enduro already. Also the Minis are looking to use that enduro to test their cars and maybe drivers before the 24hr.

The enduro could be made a championship round if we wanted. Paul's point about scoring points at 2 moments in the race - that would need to be investigated I think, but otherwise as good idea.

There is a very outside possibility of picking up another date from *somewhere* in the next month, but the various clubs are finalising their dates so there's not much fruit left on the treee.

So - what option would be acceptable to all of you?