Main Menu

Race Dates and venues

Started by Mr Burns, December 24, 2022, 10:53:11

Previous topic - Next topic

T AU C

Here is my 2 p worth....

It seems tolerably clear now that the position was pretty much fixed in the provisional calendar and it turned out, post-AGM, there was little room for manoeuvre despite best efforts. I do wonder why that is given a minute of track time is the unit of currency within the negotiation regarding time tables.  Blue-chip events aside, why should any support series be preferred over another?  One would have thought there is another series somewhere having the same conversation in reverse....

No one can sensibly argue that this timetable is ideal. It doesn't really represent a fair distribution of venues around the country (when regular competitors are distributed about) but, more significantly, the timing of the events will be tough on many of us. That is both in terms of cash flow and the actual time available to prepare the cars etc.

It may or may not be what it is, as they say, for this year given Chris's post but, moving into next year, is there anything we can do to have a greater influence on this?

It will be a huge shame if regulars find themselves unable to support the series anymore due to financial and/or time constraints.

Having read the above, Paul's idea seems a sensible suggestion. Having the enduro as non-championship does risk it turning into an expensive track day. It would be a shame to lose a weekend generally but if anglesey can't be sensibly replaced, it may be the best option

Andrew Bull

I cant believe anyone would actually pay for the 90 minutes enduro. I suspect we might have about 4 cars on the grid as the only cost effective logical way to participate would be for 2-3 drivers to join up and race one car!

Its extortionate! we could rent a circuit independently and run an open pit lane track day.  20cars x £600 = £12000. 
Enduro costs
600 / 90 = £6.66 per minute. 

24 hr race costs (assume £2800 entry)
12800 / 1440 = £1.94 per minute

I know sprint races are a different kettle of fish and work out around £12-13 / minute of track time, but that gives much more close racing. 

Ill save my £600 and the risk to the car from a Non-important race!  It'll pay for the fuel to Anglesey.
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

San

Given the choices I favour option B. (I appreciate it is difficult putting a race calendar together that meets the needs of everyone, but it was clear from the AGM that the majority did not want 2 trips to wales 2 weeks apart).

Laurence Broadhurst

I would take option B also. although it is far from ideal, as Anglesey is such a great circuit. If there was no change I would, like Andrew, choose to not do the endurance at Pembrey as it is such poor value with nothing to show for it.

Nigel Hollis

I think the Board may have been influenced in including an Enduro at Pembrey by the number of hands that went up in favour (though not mine) at the AGM and I believe were slightly surprised!

Laurence Broadhurst

However, the issue now is, the whole idea of the enduro was to try and appeal to different drivers to increase interest ahead of the 24hr. Now that it's for the championship that goes out the window!
And yes Ainslie, the enduro was seen as a good thing at the AGM, but once the idea and sheer cost was mulled over it's appeal probably fell considerably!

Luca Proietti

I personally think option B is the best option.

I can understand everyone's side to the discussion. And I can completely understand the amount of time and effort the committee have gone through to get us a season of racing.

For me the issue is  the travelling to wales twice in 2 weeks. Having a non championship enduro race that could cause damage to the cars and engines and having not a lot of time to sort these out. It will be a shame to only have a 3 round sprint season, but as it is I think this is the best way to get round this situation.

Thank you again to the committee.

George Broadhurst

Anglesey was actually the track I was most looking forward to this season, but looks like option B is the the most viable. Seems to me that sorting how points are scored could get complicated but I'll leave that to our fantastic board to work out! 😉

Andrew Bull

Well it appears that the BARC are trying it on again.   >:( >:(
It was always bloody obvious from the initial proposed calendar that two meeting two weeks apart was never going to fly.

BTW anglesey (If i am correct) is shown on BARC website as long configuration anyway, "without" the corkscrew.  Another 2 minute plus lap.

Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

simon turner

Why are we being asked now what we want to do after a decision has already been made by the board to cancel Anglesey and after the calendar has been apparently agreed and finalised? It seems as though we are just choosing if the Enduro is a championship round or not. My understanding from the AGM was that the board were directed to find an alternative for Anglesey and the full circuit at Oulton. I can understand that we can't choose the circuit layout which suits the majority of other cars but in the absence of any other solution from the BARC, such as more time, we should have been consulted before the calendar was finalised concerning Anglesey or Pembrey. If two 20 minute races cost around £80 more than two 15 minute races, I don't know if the additional cost would put people off as I don't think the overall cost is really ever mentioned as an issue. If we are simply happy to pay more for longer races at longer circuits (or ones further away) then should we just not ask how much this would be? It appears that alienating the BARC by these actions may make running the club financially more difficult from now onwards. I don't know when the initial discussions take place about circuits and dates but can't we all be involved a litter earlier in the process rather than waiting until the AGM with a fait accompli.
Tête Rouge Racing

Alec Graham

I prefer the long circuit at both Oulton and Anglesey.

gadget

maybe you could win both races if you are the only one