Main Menu

Simon Pearson RIP

Started by Pete Sparrow, April 30, 2023, 11:11:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Sparrow

I'm sorry to have to report the sad loss of our racing friend, Simon Pearson.
Simon left us on the 13th of April 2023. He leave's behind wife Nikki and children Luke, Lucy and Lily.
Simon was 62 years old.
Simon raced a 2cv between 1992 and the late 2000's. He raced with many teams over that period competing in lots of 24hr races and also running his own ECAS liveried car in the championship sprint races and gaining some very good results.
Simon was well known for being a tight arse, most stuff was done a cheap as he could or borrowed. Some of you may remember the year he took his coach to Mondello (with the car in the back), not wanting to pay proper money for his race fuel, he filled the spare tank with petrol bought in the UK. During the race at night, the side of the coach was opened and the fuel was pumped into a jerry can, ready to go in to the car at the next pitstop. Unfortunately, the team member doing this job didn't check the tank properly and 20 litres of diesel went into the car at the next stop..
I'm sure some of you will have plenty of stories relating to racing with him or evenings spent on his coach at various circuits. Please take time to remember them.
Last week I met up Luke, Simons eldest child. The family want to run his race car behind the Hearse at his funeral. I helped Luke get and engine in the car and get it running. We had to repair a 'bit' of panel damage and make a replacement rear wing as that appeared to be missing. Last used in 2005, we got the old girl going and she will be there to see him off.
Below is information taken from his Facebook page about his Funeral.

'The funeral of Simon will take place on Wednesday 3rd May 2023. In accordance with Simon's wishes there will be a church service at St Marys Church, Colton at 1.30pm followed by a committal service at Stafford Crematorium at 3.00pm and a wake (details to be confirmed)
Along with Simon's wishes this will be a celebration of his wonderful life and a man that touched so many hearts.
The dress code is casual - band T-shirts (ideally The Stranglers his favourite band) and jeans. There will be music and celebration just as Simon Pearson wanted.'

I hope to see some of you there.
Pete
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Roy Eastwood

I first met Simon in about 1986 when he was running a Citroen repair workshop within his father's engineering business and I believe running that business too, Simon was helpful in suggestions of quality and parts requirements at the time I was setting up the business of ECAS. Simon always offered his help and I do remember him offering to contact his debt collector mate, 'Harry the dog' if ever I needed such service.

Trevor Williams

Just seen this very sad news. Simon was a character whose company I enjoyed on and off the track. Sincere condolences to  his family. RIP Simon
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Derek Coghill

I'm sorry to hear that. The bus was still extant, last I heard.

Paul

Always fun to be around, fire works at Donington Park  was hilarious.
 He was involved in one of the most dramatic 2cv races at Mallory i've seen. Ed Drake Lee barrelrolled at Gerrards. The pack of six leaders two abreast and 3 deep entered  the corner flat out bump drafting, having not seen the yellows. The front pair lifted, the second pair lifted more, Simon in the 3rd row lost it and reversed at high speed into the rescue vehicle that had been sent out to protect the doctors car which had been sent out to Ed's incident(he was happily sitting with the marshals by this point)