Main Menu

Re: Re: Solutions?

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 11:36:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Ken Hanna on June 24, 2004 at 19:28:29:

In Reply to: Re: Solutions? posted by Derek Harnett on June 24, 2004 at 09:15:26:

Derek,
I have not yet had the chance to strip the engine I'd built this year and was one of the many which suffered rather badly at Snetterton last weekend, but having seen the amount of damage on those engines which were stripped at the circuit, I have my doubts as to just how much useful information, if any, can be sifted from the ashes of an engine which has failed in that manner....

With reference to the 2 causes of failure being put forward, I have very good reason to believe that the latter ( one inlet opening too early ) is more likely to be the culprit. This is because I removed the heads on that engine after a pre-season testing day at Mallory to find evidence of contact between the inlet valve and piston head, but only on the offside ( right side of engine when viewed from the driver's seat)

Although I attempted to address this by seating the valves slightly deeper and adding another shim under each barrel, this was obviously not sufficient to prevent failure. The only significant items changed in that engine from last season were the new Club cam and a set of new followers, btw.

Which leads to the question ... does anyone have any data for the specified overall lift, rate of lift, valve opening and closing points of the Club cam and how they compare with an OE cam?

Yours etc., disgruntled of North Yorks.

p.s. I'd also suggest that it's the engines which survived Snetterton which should have be looked at, to check for signs of inlet valve/piston contact as described above.