Main Menu

Odeas for cams and cars for '05

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 11:51:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Martin H on August 28, 2004 at 10:46:06:

Dear all,

I've been thinking about cams and cars etc for next year, and thought that I would bounce some ideas around.

1) Cams
Lots of people don't like the new cam rule. Rightly or wrongly, people blame many of the Snet failures on it, and we generally have fewer cars on the grid. My own suggestion is that for 2005, we allow two types of cam:

- the '04 cam we have, with option of vernier
- a 'free' cam, with no vernier. The only restriction is that the cam must be recognisably and obviously a Citroen original part. No cams made from billet allowed. That allows fast boys to play about technically and take risks. It also allows back of the grid enthusiasts to join in the racing with minimal hassle, cost and technical complication.

All other technical rules to stay in place. This small change could have a big impact on all grids and reduce costs for low budget and new cars.

2) Cars
While you were at Cadwell, I went along to the LMES round at Silverstone. A good event with big crowd, open paddock and lots going on. Big grid too. What was fascinating was the big fast LMP cars working their way through the GT cars. If you've ever been to Le Mans, you'll have seen how the difference in speeds adds interest. There is the odd coming together, but that's racing.

That made me think. However hard we try, we are unlikely to get more than 34 or so 'UK' cars in the 24hr. Without 40+ on the grid in '05, it is unlikely to be financially viable.

My proposal is that we establish a class in our 24hr for 'Belgian series' cars and invite them along. We would need to take advice from those who know that class well, but if we can work something out, then that could bring our grid up to the maximum and spice up the event. There are modest safety issues. For instance, we could insist that they had yellow headlights at night, to help identification. But, race drivers are race drivers and they would soon learn to deal with the situation. It would make the event a much more exciting spectacle, adding interest for the spectators and marshals. It would also give the increasing number of UK based 'Belgian' cars a chance to have a run in front of their home crowd.

If these ideas gather enough support, I will propose them for formal discussion at the AGM (when ?).

Best wishes, Martin H