Main Menu

Pit lane shelters

Started by stuart dean, January 14, 2005, 11:59:20

Previous topic - Next topic

stuart dean

Does anyone know if we'll be allowed to use pit wall shelters at Snett this year? If not, why not? I know that the circuit are completely happy about it (we used ours in 2003, and the circuit and marshals and clerk of the course made no objection in 2004 either), so what's the problem? It's early enough now to allow anyone who wants one to make one in time for Snett, so you can't argue that it puts anyone at a disadvantage. Timekeepers and signallers get a raw enough deal as it is, so why not allow them a little comfort, especially since it's a Bank Holiday, so it's guaranteed to rain...
Stuart

Catherine Noble

As a 24hr timekeeper in the past, I don't much care for shelters - I'd rather get wet, but then I'm a little strange as most people are well aware.

Whilst some shelters are thoughtfully constructed to enable a view past them/through them, others are opaque which can rather cut down on visibility across the track for others. I prefer not leaning across the pit barrier to try and see where the car is in a pack as it comes up the track, which has happened in the past as a result of teams with shelters constructed from opaque plastics and those with golf umbrellas. (No offence guys!!)

As someone who once spent many an hour marshalling - in force 5 gales on open hillside, etc. -  you learn by experience. Timekeeping can be one of the best jobs in the pit and everyone should try it at least once, I consider it one of the best ways to see the race unfold.

Sorry to be a little controversial!

Catherine
:)

Derek Harnett

Having experienced wet 24 hour races both with and without a shelter I'm very much in favour of allowing them if people want to use them.