Main Menu

Race overalls

Started by Matthew Hollis, April 14, 2005, 12:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Hollis

For those people who weren't at Oulton or who don't already know, the rules have changed this year regarding race overalls.

All overalls must now be FIA approved - this is covered in section Q of the Blue Book but written in such a way that it is easy to miss.

Myself and Richard (plus a few others I think) were caught out by this rule change at Oulton but were allowed to race in our non-approved overalls.  I believe there will be no exceptions at the next race so you have been warned!

I assume the FIA feel that fire has become a lot hotter in recent years  :?

Matt

Trevor Williams

Matt,
I think that the scrutineer who questioned your overalls suitability was being a bit over zealous.

Overalls can be BS certified or EN certified or FIA Standard

The only thing to be aware of is that certain standards are no longer acceptable if BS certified for national racing. The FIA 1986 standard is still acceptable for national motorsports.

If you take part in an International event then you must have FIA 8856-2000 overalls, as well as the correct crash helmet.

One further thing to note is that at the end of this year anyone with a Snell SA95 crash helmet will have to get a new one. This standard is being withdrawn from us in MSA events

Cheers

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Trevor Williams

Please see the text below regarding overalls for racing and take note.

URGENT NOTE TO ALL BARC COMPETITORS - DRIVERS OVERALLS

Most of you will already be aware that the specification for drivers' overalls has changed for 2005.  The 2004 MSA Blue Book gave 12 months notice that in 2005, nothing other than FIA Standard Drivers Overalls would be acceptable.

Over the last couple of weekends, various Clubs (not BARC thankfully) have experienced problems with competitors turning up to race with old overalls that are no longer acceptable.  They have been prevented from racing and this has caused major rows within the clubs.

Would all BARC competitors please note therefore that only overalls that are compliant with MSA Blue Book Regulation Q.9.1. will be accepted and any BARC event in 2005.

DALE WELLS
BARC Competitions Manager                     27April 2005

Derek Harnett

Not being an MSA member and therefore not having a blue book, I wonder if someone could post the exact wording of the regulation so we can check our overalls over this side of the pond before setting off to Snetterton.

Thanks in advance ....... Derek.

Trevor Williams

Derek,
According to Dale at BARC, ONLY FIA standard overalls are acceptable for MSA national events.

FIA 1986 Standard or FIA 8856-2000

I am waiting on final clarification from the MSA

Trevor Williams

Final Advice from the MSA is as follows:

The ONLY overall standards acceptable for MSA National Race events are:

FIA 1986 Standard
FIA 8856-2000