Main Menu

Any tips on starting 2CV racing for 2007

Started by Russ Melrose, August 22, 2006, 11:38:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Melrose

Hi all,

I'm looking at racing next year, predominantly the 24 hour but in other endurance rounds if possible. Can anybody give me any advice on a good place to start & if there are any cars up for grabs after Mallory? Should we get a road car & convert? What do we need to look for? Any tips gratefully received as it's always difficult starting a new series!

I'm going to be at Mallory so would love to meet you all there.

Cheers

Russ

Trevor Williams

Russ,
Definately come to Mallory and get to know us all. We should be able to answer any questions you may have
Do you have race licence etc already?
Cheers
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Russ Melrose

Thanks Trevor.

I've had a race licence for a few years now. I started in Caterhams & I'm just finishing my first year in Jedi's. The single seater racing is fantastic but all over in 20 minutes & I fancy doing some endurance events in addition to the Jedi, hence 2CV's.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Russ

Paul Robertson

Buy a ready prepped car and then change what you want to.Oliver Hall is selling" the silver bullet" .Which had a full rebuild prior to this season and has proved to be very competitive .
I believe he is going to mallory so would be a good time to check it out .

Paul

Russ Melrose

Fantastic! If you have contact details for Oliver could you email them to me?

Cheers

Russ

Marc Fenner

You might be able to use our car. Its not the best but not the worst.
I know our drivers wanted to race but may be doing Spa so cant do both. I would be willing to mechanic too.

Marcin

Russ Melrose

Cheers Marc. Let's talk about it at Mallory? I must confess I'm interested in seeing how the "will we be racing next year" thread pans out before I part with too much cash...

Regards

Russ

Pete Sparrow

Dont worry Russ, things will be fine for next year
It will be worth coming to mallory and looking at cars to get an idea of what you may need to do if you buy one thats been stood for a bit. Mallory is always a good race and you'll get more help and information than you actually need.
Keep your eye on www.2cvtv.com and Ebay for cars for sale.
regards
Pete
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Ben Allan

Russ,

Last year was my first year and I've had the highs and lows, so please give me a call if you want to talk any of this through.
077 99 410 114.

Ben

ps For what its worth I've enjoyed it so much I'm already dropping the cash in for next year

Simon Crook

Russ I am in the same situation as you, but I have parted with the cash,  Ive got an 2003 spec racing 2cv on the drive, so I am looking at that same thread :shock:  to be honest I cant wait to race next year I am sure that I will not be the only new one on the grid which ever way we go!
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Richard hollis

Hi got a choice of about 10 road 2cv as starting points of a race car. I'll be at mallory if interested. cheers Richard

Richard Knight

Have read a lot about getting new blood into the club. I have been an armchair motorsport fan for many years and a member of 2CVGB since  1986 - this year I finally got off my backside, got my licence and did the 24 hour with GMR.  Although things didn't go to plan with me ending the wrong way up - I still had a go and actually did it (thank goodness for comp car insurance).  I would love to do more and even one day own a 2cv race car.  I do feel however it would help to have a dedicated area on the 2cv racing website for old race car sales and parts/engines etc - this would make entry into the world of 2cv racing easier . I have not got the technical ability or time to build a car from scratch, so would have to go down the pre built route.  However I've never seen one for sale on 2cvTv or on ebay.  If all the racing stuff for sale was in one place I think it would help new starters, like myself.

Richard (Little Rich)

Dick Roberts

Hello

" I do feel however it would help to have a dedicated area on the 2cv racing website for old race car sales and parts/engines etc - this would make entry into the world of 2cv racing easier . .........I've never seen one (a racing 2cv) for sale on 2cvTv or on ebay. If all the racing stuff for sale was in one place I think it would help new starters, like myself. "

Thanks for your comments Richard.  A dedicated space would be a good idea particularly if there was something to put in it.  During the last four years no cars have been offered for sale to the 2CV Racing web site.

There is an active 2CV For-Sale site at http://www.2cvtv.com/forsaleon.htm which sells over 300  cars a year and has 20,000 unique visitors a month.  This would be ideal for buying 2CVs for racing as the range is wide and the turnover good and the page is managed (there is nothing worse than a page that is out of date and that has no visitors).

We have also run a successful sell-a-seat type of operation with Steve Panas for the recent Snettertons on the Racing Club website and, as these are specific to the race, I expect that the club will want the same facility again for 2007.

Simon Leith

Hi Russ, I own half the 'Silver Bullit' with Oliver Hall and yes it is up for sale after Mallory Park. Oli and I built the car with the help of Gary Adnitt, Shaun Calvert Paul Robertson....and most of the other 2cv club members it seemed!! :0)

Anyway it has only had 2 outings this year and it was 2nd quickest (lap) at Pembrey and 4th quickest at Snetterton so we know it is a good car and well built. I comes with a good spares package and is a quick car. i also have another car for sale which is being built now and will be ready in about a month.

Feel free to call me on 0771 00 66 589 if you want to talk about it further but I will be at Mallory anyway trying to nick the title from Monseuir Sparrow !!

Simon   :twisted:

Russ Melrose

Thanks Simon - see you at Mallory!

Is there a timetable on the web yet that the public can get to?

Cheers

Russ