Main Menu

Thoughst for Saturday Evening

Started by Ben Allan, July 18, 2007, 10:12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Allan

Rather than turning up cold In thought I might just put down here what I will be suggesting on Saturday evening.  Perhaps if others do the same we will have something to chew on before Wayne's World.

I will ask that we start the process to achieve:

An immediate (via EGM or other route) relaxing of the constitution so that the new Chair can make calls effectively and efficiently.  Trev got shafted, for other reasons as well, partly because he was the focus of complaints but had no real powers to do much about it.

A new mandate (via EGM or other route) for the new Chair that is clear, achievable and measurable.  "Make everyone happier, the club bigger and better" won't cut it - ask Trev.  I suggest something like "Make the club bigger by focusing on attracting new, novice racers" ( i.e. Advertising, focus on stock cars)  or "Make the club bigger by holding fewer but larger (e.g. 4-8hrs) enduro's which will bring back the 24hr crowd" or "Make the club more stable by joing up with another race series" etc.

The club can be turned around.

Ben

helen deeley

Who is the new chair then?
Dont we need to keep the members that we have but who don't come out much, rather than just trying to bring new people in? (Although somethings working on that front, coz theres at least 2 rookie drivers doing most of the season this year  :D )
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

TerryCollier

Hi

The major thing that we have to discover is how many existing members of the Club can afford to go racing. Ignoring the 24 hours the cost of entries is £2,605 for the 2007 season. On top of this you could add another £2000 for transport, accommodation and sundry small repairs. This gives us a running minimum budget of £4,605. ( the reason I left out the 24 hours is that this should be a breakeven item if three extra drivers are charged for the experience)

There is little chance of this figure being reduced even if the 7 races are single day rather than weekend events. So to compete in a way that makes the Club effective requires this level of investment. It appears that not a large number are prepared or able to do this.

It is only when this is known is it worthwhile to look at other things. Other factors such as time availability etc are secondary to this.

If there is too little support for the historical type of season then we have two choices -- drop it all or radically revise our idea of how we fulfill our desire to race.

If the 24 hour race concept is believed to be attractive then we can expand it. Properly handled a three 24 hour race format is very marketable and could even generate profits for the Club. We know that Pembrey and Spa are options, although needing some work to realise. Linked to Snetterton we have a season. Running May, July and October it fits in with other formulas without conflict and has recovery space.

The other thing I would like to get clear is what exactly do we think that 2CV racing is? What are we as a product? Attracting people is good but all we talk about is whether we should Advertise or Promote. What are we promoting? What are we asking people to buy? Unless we can answer this we will go nowhere.

Terry Collier
Team Collier Racing

helen deeley

Its not all about the money! As a newcomer to competing I did a fair bit of research last year into costs of various championships, & ours is one of the cheapest, even in the enduro format. Someone has already pointed out in another thread that costs are pretty stable compared with the last couple of years.
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Frank Barnard

My opinion, as already stated, is to run a series of sprint races leading up to the 24-Hours as the season's climax. I don't think the idea of three 24-Hours are on, honestly.
A paddock punter once kicked my car's tyre and said: ' Ah, poor man's motor-racing.' That's the image, like it or not. It never was true of course, but it's much less so now.
Whatever you say, a £200 entry fee for a 15-lapper is far more achievable for the rank-and-file member than £550-plus which entails finding a co-driver or co-drivers with all the extra hassle, apart from the risk of them bending your machinery.
See you at Silverstone!

Bob Rice

I've been trying to avoid commenting on this thread, because I have been misquoted, or maybe misunderstood , from an identical thread last year. If you want to know my views they are still there to be read.

However, the comments here regarding the later running of the 24 hours concern me, do people not realise that the Silverstone / Britcar 24hours runs in September, about two weeks after the August Bank Holiday, this is attracting more and more teams each year. Try thinking about the effect that will have on attracting the pay drivers, and what about the recruiting of Marshalls.

Three 24 hours per year - ask yourself the same questions as above.

think again!

Mary Lindsay

I think one 24 hour is enough and feel that late May to end July is the best time for it. I also think that Snetterton is the best venue.

I would suggest increasing the entry fee for the 24 hour especially for non-members and guest drivers. Those wanting to do it will still regard it as very good value for a great motor racing experience. Maybe it could help subsidise the rest of the season.

I haven't done any other 2CV races for reasons already stated but regard an entry fee of £550 as too much,  whatever the length of the race. I also find 2 day events too disruptive to family life and other commitments. Why not go for a middle course of say 30-40 minute races?

I am sure that this has all been said before and there will be a huge sigh of irritation out there from those who have been down this path before. :roll: