Main Menu

2CV Racing into the future

Started by TerryCollier, July 13, 2007, 14:24:04

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryCollier

Hi All
We have had innumerable discussions regarding aspects of the operation of the 2CV racing season. These have varied from Formats, Advertising, extending interest post 24 hours etc. However, underlying everything is the question of finance -- ranging from the cost of entries, cost of travel to the cost of repairs. Included in finance is the relationship with BARC, covering Grid sizes and selection of tracks.

Most of the problem with the cost of racing is not that it is just expensive but that this cost appears in a relatively short period of time, especially when people with families have other pressures such as holidays etc.

It would be possible for the Club to monitor a scheme, financed by an external agency, whereby the costs, at least of entries, could be spread over ten months of the year.

To give an idea the following is an example:
Cost of entries ------ Monthly repayment
1300 -------------------- 137.80
1600 -------------------- 169.60

There are several benefits to this scheme.
Firstly we and BARC would know the Grid sizes in advance.
Secondly payment would be made to BARC early gaining whatever discounts apply. This might reduce the overall cost.
But the big benefit would be to racers.
For example, starting the scheme in January or February would mean that
the monthly outlay would not be such a big shock. One would even be paying for race meetings after the event rather than before.

There are more details which I have considered but am not going into here yet. These include what if someone has to cancel a planned attendance, defaults on repayment, the benefit to the club. First it is necessary to discover whether this is considered to be a way forward in solving the underlying problem.

I await your comments with interest.
Terry Collier :roll:
Team Collier Racing

Derek Harnett

Quote from: "TerryCollier"
I await your comments with interest.
Terry Collier :roll:

Pun intended????

For myself the reasons I dropped out of the championship were three fold.

1) Costs.  2) Travel (time and distance, ferries etc).  3) General hassle and stress.

Of those number 1 is the only one relevant to this part of the discussion.

I'm not sure the idea would have made any difference to me, as I was able to look at the total costs for a season and realise I couldn't afford to keep going.  My issue was not really a cash flow one where there was close proximity of races - Mr. Visa was able to help smooth those out.

Not shooting down the idea, just commenting that I don't think it would have made any difference to me.

helen deeley

I think we have to be careful before we blame smaller grids on just finance. I would not be happy to sign up for the entire season before it even starts, as lots of things can happen in life outside of racing during this time- eg job change, house move, growing families etc, not to mention that it then places enormous pressure on getting the car ready for the next round, which can be a nightmare in itself, and may not be possible. Would there be a refund system if the car/ drivers were unable to make a race due to unforseen circumstances? If it works for some racers fine, but Im not sure its something that the club should be involved in- let the individual sort out a personal loan if thats the way they want to do it.
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

TerryCollier

Hi

No pun was intended I was actually being serious. To both of you -- I agree that the question of keeping on racing can involve many factors. What I am trying to do is suggest a possible answer to one of them. If we split the problem down to the small bits we might find the answers. So far the discussion just keeps getting too involved and convulated.  I agree the scheme must involve certain safeguards -- cancellation. However, when I see all of the concerns then I can find the answers.

I accept that the Club cannot do anything about certain personal situations but others can be handled. I do feel that unless we discuss the situation in a controlled way we will just go back to tinkering and satisfy some and annoy others. Basically my feeling is that we want to race, preferably as fast as we can, and that the Club should be organised in such a way that we can do this in as simple and economic way as possible.

I still await comments with interest

Terry Collier :oops:
Team Collier Racing