Main Menu

datalogging

Started by neandethal, September 02, 2013, 22:06:49

Previous topic - Next topic

neandethal

i noticed several teams had some really trick datalogging going on during the race, what system are people using? or is it a closely guarded secret.

cheers, Ian.

Derek Coghill

I think that we had a pen and some paper....not much data was logged, though.

Nick Roads

Racelogic probably leaders in the field. http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

I have the performance box in my car which has the predictive lap timing function while driving and is very useful.

The vbox has the cameras but is a lot more expensive and you need an OLED display if you want the predictive timing which is an extra cost. Car 36 had it in.

The analysis tools (on the pc which you load the data into) are the same except the performance box obviously does not have the video.

RLambert

We use the vbox system in the Porky Boys car which has 2 cameras and the in car display (OLED).

Great bit of kit and easy to use. Costs about £1400 but well worth it in terms of the benefit it brings...

It also means the driver can't hide their mistakes but on the plus side they can also relive those banzai overtakes and powerslides!

Chris Yates

We've got a Race Technology DL1 - http://www.race-technology.com/description_8_956.html

They also do a system like the vbox with cameras and overlays, etc. But we just mostly use the logger functions, 'cos we have an old school dashboard ;)

Christine Savage

Correction Chris... we used to have a DL1 until it was drowned at last year's snetterton 24hr... from what I gather the replacement is not as good as the DL1 was.

Maxx

I use a DL1 and the associated Video system from Race-Technology VIDEO4. Also couple that with a GoPro which I used onboard the ICENI car. I know a few other use DL1s, Tete Rouge, I know Sammy does and I know Sea Lion do as I helped them setup shift lights and laptime display. Have posted some onboard video from this on the Videos thread.

Malcolm

neandethal

Thanks for the responses, i was thinking a little bit more economy models, does anybody use the alfano or mychron set up from karting? i know it records less info but over a grand seems alot of money

Maxx

The "over a grand" stuff is generally a combined multi-cam video + data logger + dash display, the top end data loggers are ~£500+vat. There are cheaper ones available if you are just looking at lap & sector times, comparisons etc. The extra cost is mainly down to the expandability of the data logger unit and the quality and flexibility of the analysis software.

Also you can add dash displays which, once configured can give you accurate Speed/RPM display, lap & sector times, fully configurable shift-lights and warning lights, potentially ECU data display. A Race-Technology DL1+Dash3 which will do all of this is £650+vat.

Malcolm